Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Day 1: Cooking Holiday at a Farmhouse in France. Travel Tuesday Special.

When I first discovered Le Gargantua on the Go Learn To website, I was excited for the idea of trying something new. A cooking holiday in Southwest France seemed perfect!! Since I arrived yesterday afternoon, it's been an even better experience than I could have dreamed of.

The flight from Amsterdam to Bordeaux took under two hours. There's a shuttle operating every 30 minutes to/from the Bordeaux St. Jean Train Station. It was during this 30 minute ride that I met three wonderful people. An Australian woman who has lived in Laos over the last 15 years, a Dutch gentleman traveling, and a Dutch woman who lives in France-six months of the year spent in my favourite city Paris! They were citizens of the world and very helpful. I quickly learned from the time I stepped into the shuttle bus that English was not as prevalent of a language spoken in Bordeaux as I had expected. The trio on the shuttle were just wonderful and willing to help me find my way! 

The hour train ride to Tonneins, the nearest station to Le Garantua was picturesque. 

View of grape vines from the train. 

Another gorgeous view from the train. 

I was greeted at the station by Marc, husband of the lovely Marlène, this wonderful couple has owned the farmhouse cooking school for over 10 years. 

Just a short 10 minute drive and we arrived to Le Gargantua. I was so excited!! I had corresponded with Marc and Marlène prior to coming to france and they were just as wonderful in person. Marlène greeted me with a warm welcome and was hospitable! 

An outside view of the farmhouse, pictures just don't capture how wonderful it is. 

From the inside looking out. 

My room at Le Gargantua.  

Welcome chocolate chip cookies and wine! 

Downstairs breakfast eating area for guests as well as a living room lounge with free wi-fi.


The program for the cooking holiday. I'm grateful Marlène was able to fit in a visit La Cigale chocolatier in Nérac, the inspiration for the movie Chocolat. One of my all time favs! 

After relaxing for a bit I met the other house guests. Graham from Christchurch, New Zealand and his brother-in-law John from Essex, England. They were just wonderful and had such great spirits. 

Prior to our three-course dinner we had drinks and canapés. Delicious! 
Rosé wine and a trio of canapés: Bayonne with gherkin, smoked trout, and roquefort with walnuts. The olives were a perfect addition. 

First course: Foie gras on baguette with lightly dressed leaves. 

Second course: Duck Shepard's pie. The best duck I have ever had, the confit was full of flavour! 

Third course: Poached pear with chocolate ganache. 

The conversation was lively and it was so fun getting to meet and learn about new people! Oh, the adventures ahead!! Cooking begins on Day 2! More to come!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment